Hi there! I'm Hussein, a Software Engineer based in Cairo, Egypt. I love being unconventional and going on adventures.
Here's a little about me:
- Running with Lisa, my forever puppy.
- Coding for my next evil genius invention.
- Listening to some inspirational music almost throughout the whole day.
I am an Android Developer with 4 years of experience, who likes to turn ideas into beautiful Android apps.
I mostly write in Kotlin, always striving to build the best apps and experience a user can possibly have, with simplicity in the user interface. I believe that a killer design along with some unique useful features no other app has are what make a project stand out.
Meanwhile, here is what I love to do:
I live to learn. I believe that there is a learning experience in every failure. I strive to learn from my personal losses & seek out for advice to gain a broader understanding of the world.
I love to design and sketch new products - I want to develop products that perform complex functions with simple commands. I believe clean user interface is the key to a sustainable product.
I am a huge fan of creating different prototypes of new ideas. I believe that there lies a certain beauty of producing new iterations of products that exceeds the former ones.
I volunteer at my university to teach Computer Science to students in their first year of study, and let them get an insight into the vast fields of Computer Science.
Libraries & Platforms
Tools & Testing
Hussein is a very professional Android Developer and a very fast learner. He developed Orange Bus Android app in a very short time from A to Z, and I can really say his experience as an Intern was beyond our expectations. He also mentored his internship colleagues in a very professional way. Lucky will be the company that will hire him.Youssef Wagih | Android Team Leader | Orange
I highly recommend Hussein. He is a very talented and creative developer. He never failed to astonish me by his work. He worked with us at Orange in his internship for 2 months and managed to successfully launch Orange Bus Android app in a very short time. I have no doubt he will be a strong asset to any team.George Naiem | Senior Android Developer | Orange
I've spent the last couple of years working with Hussein on many projects. I am continuously impressed by the results he always produces. He has developed a very deep understanding of Android, and I believe he has the capability of taking on any project. I'm excited to see what he does in the future.Mahmoud Abdelwahab | Front-end Engineer | German University in Cairo
Below are some experiences that I gained throughout my life. My main interests lie in Android Development, but I also like to explore new things whenever possible. Here is more about me.
German University in Cairo
- Bachelor's in Media Engineering and Technology with a focus on Computer Engineering
- Member in 2 student clubs: GDG New Cairo, Vector Game Studio
Nefertari American International School
- Graduated with High Honors with a GPA of 4.00
- Ranked in Top 1 Percentile worldwide in the Math section of the Old SAT Test, getting 780/800
Android Developer Intern | Orange
- Designed and built an app using Kotlin and Firebase that facilitates Orange employees to select the best Orange bus line from/to work, increasing employees’ daily productivity.
- Developed an AR app for future career fairs using Kotlin and ARCore, in which there will be photos of every Orange department manager printed on a large wall readily available at the booth. When a user hovers the camera over them, a video that explains what the department does will be played above the detected image as if it is brought to life, grabbing the attention of all attendees to an immersive experience.
Junior Teaching Assistant | German University in Cairo
Volunteered to teach the following courses to students in their 1st year of study:
- CSEN 102 – Introduction to Computer Science (Python)
- CSEN 202 – Introduction to Computer Programming (Java)
Vector Game Studio | Game Art & Design Member
Currently learning the different perspectives of Game Art & Design by applying Octalysis technique in Game Development.
GDG New Cairo | Event Coordinator
Helped in organizing many events, including GDG DevFest and Google I/O Extended, by reviewing the attended speakers, welcoming guests and surveying them.
Menschen Bewegen 2016
Got selected by Goethe Institute in Cairo to participate in Menschen Bewegen 2016, a 3-day event in Berlin, Germany, where introspective students from 30 countries and from 50 selected schools met to exchange cultures with each other.
Open-source Active Contributor
Contributing to open-source projects has been a wonderful and rewarding experience; Not only do I give back to the community but also I gain new knowledge and get to know other developers who are interested in the same field as mine.
Stack Overflow Active Contributor
As I gain knowledge from Stack Overflow, I like to return it by helping other developers as well, and so I usually answer questions on Stack Overflow whenever possible. Currently I have 2 bronze tag badges,
, and looking forward to increase those tag badges.
- Ranked in Top 8% Users Overall, having a reputation of 5,060+.
- Answered 154 questions, making impact on more than 276k people.
- Helped new Stack Overflow users to feel more welcome on Stack Overflow by volunteering in Mentorship Research Project, where I guided new Stack Overflow users in asking a good readable understandable question.
Lines of Code
Cups of Coffee
These are all the personal projects that I've developed from idea to deployment as well as the projects that I worked on during all my previous working experience. I'm constantly working on a new project - stay tuned for more!
Orange Bus | Android App on Google Play
A service, in which all employees working at Orange Egypt headquarters can view all the company's bus lines from/to work, including bus stops exact locations with their specific arrival and departure time, and get the most recommended bus lines based on any given destination in a fast convenient way.
Orange Explore | Android AR App
An augmented reality app, developed for Orange future career fairs, in which there will be photos of every department manager printed on a large wall readily available at the booth. When a user hovers the device camera over them, a video will be played above the detected image as if the image is brought to life, explaining what each department at Orange does.
Typing Master | Android Game on Google Play
An educational game that helps you type faster while learning new words simultaneously. Random words fall down from the screen and you have to type them as fast as you can.
- Ranked among Top 100 in Word Games category in more than 25 countries, including #15 in India and Bangladesh.
My Portfolio | Website
A simple project that introduced me to the basics of Front-End Development. It was one of the best ways to learn Web Design while producing a tangible project.
In my spare time, I like to share my knowledge and stories with other enthusiasts. As of now, I have only written one article, but I'm planning to write more very soon.
My First 1 Million Installs as an Independent Android Developer
A Medium article, in which I explained my first one million installs in a 4-years journey as an independent Android Developer, discussing how I started and how I reached there, from idea, development, monetization, to marketing strategy.